Tuesday, September 20, 2016

I Just Want To Go Fishing

"The Fisherman" as our granddaughter nicknamed our friend, Eddie "DJ" DeJesus.
This photo was taken the last time we saw him before the Lord called him home.
     Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. He called out to them, “Friends, haven’t you any fish?”
     “No,” they answered.
     He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish."
                                                                                                                                         John 21:4-6

I just want to go fishing! I ordered a small Jon boat a week ago so I can go fishing or crabbing or just floating down the creek so I can take in the beauty of it all. I spent much of my youth fishing with my parents and whether I catch anything or not is besides the point. I am actually a really lousy fisherperson. I rarely catch anything. I just want to be able to float around on the water and experience the quiet: no TV's, no radios, no electronic noise at all.

Most of my time is spent fishing for people. That is what Jesus told his disciples they were going to be doing when he asked them to leave their nets and follow him. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” (Mark 1:17) They did exactly that. But, as we read the gospels, we will find them, from time to time, even after they began to follow Jesus, fishing for fish as well.

So, I am waiting on my small boat to get here. I'll keep on fishing for people. After all, I don't know any other way to live. But, I'd kind of like to go fishing for fish, as well.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: