Thursday, September 22, 2016

Respecting, Accepting Others

"Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God." Rom 15:7

It seems that I encounter an awful lot of people who expect me to accept them just as they are; but, refuse to accept me as I am. There are more than a few who actually will not look me in the face. They either look away when speaking to me or down at their phones. Now, I completely understand that within some cultures looking in someone's eyes is considered inappropriate. However, I have been around long enough to know which cultures those would be and most of the people whom I encounter that will not look at me when we're speaking don't fall into this category. Disrespect and general unwillingness to accept others as they are comes in many colors.

Disrespect toward others and the unwillingness to accept and support others happens not only among those who do not know Jesus as well as among those who purport to believe in him. Respect really ought to be a two-way street for anything fruitful to come of it.

Paul exhorts the Roman Christians to accept and support one another. Now, wouldn't that be nice if Christians decided they could all, at least attempt, to get along! It doesn't matter what church you go to. It doesn't matter what denomination you belong to. There is only one Church and that is the Body of Christ. All members of the Church should be welcomed in any church and welcomed warmly as a brother or sister in Christ. Yes, there are theological differences. But, the bottom line is will you really disrespect anyone who believes that Jesus died and lives again?

It appears inevitable that many of those who do not know Jesus will never accept those who do, just as they are. Jesus did warn us: "You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved." (Matt 10:22)

May the Spirit of Christ teach and empower us to respect, love, and support one another in order to bring praise to God.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: