Friday, January 13, 2017

Physical And Spiritual Health And Wholeness

Back On The Water For Physical And Spiritual Well-being!
Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well. 3 John 1:2 NIV

The third epistle of St. John is a private letter to Gauis. He begins his letter to Gauis by wishing him not just physical health; but overall health which would include spiritual and mental health as well. These three areas of wellness are co-dependent. If one part of our being is ill; the rest will suffer as well.

I have been delaying finding a doctor since moving to Florida. Last week, after a few years, I finally had a regular physical examination. The visit helped me to decide that I probably needed to make a few changes to my lifestyle. There were a couple of things that I have been neglecting to do which I actually love to do. I have not been doing what I would want and should do.

1. The next day I went out and bought me a kayak to use here on the creek as my other kayaks were left behind when I moved.. I've been kayaking for about twenty years; but, in these past few years, the exercise and the opportunity to be silent in God's presence hasn't happened quite as often as it should. I found lots of excuses not to go out on the water. I have always been drawn to the water. In my adult life, I have never lived more than a mile or two from large bodies or water or at least have had a creek running through my backyard.

Kayaking has a few benefits; including, a bit of exercise. It affords me the opportunity to be out in God's beautiful creation without disturbances other than a few fish jumping or birds flying or floating around on the water and those are good things. It clears my mind and refreshes my soul as I am reminded of all the benefits of water that God has worked for us. My baptism into the body of Christ being about the most precious benefit for me personally. Paddling about on the water affords me not just physical; but, spiritual and mental health benefits as well. Peace of heart and mind are good things both of which are side-effects of  being alone with God on the water!

2.  The day after I purchased the new kayak, I finally took the leap and found me a new massage therapist. My former massage therapist lives about twenty-five hours away or I would still be seeing her. A few years ago, I had a torn rotator cuff. During Lent, I found myself looking at possible surgery; as the only way I could lift my left arm was by using my right hand to pick it up. There was no way I had time to have surgery during Lent - way too busy! I started seeing Clare bi-weekly and within a few months, I had full use of my arm again. I kept seeing her. She used "Biblical Oils" like frankincense and myrrh as well as any others that she felt I might need depending on my well-being at the time. The physical benefits were great as were the mental and spiritual benefits. I spent much of that time communicating with God (once she and I quit talking - she ended up being my confessor LOL) The therapy was so relaxing that on more than one occasion I fell asleep.

She was so good, that I was a little nervous about finding a new therapist. I think it probably had to do with grieving losing her company. But, it was time and Larissa my new therapist also appears to be very well qualified and will be a great asset to my health and wholeness. 

Life is not so good when we don't take care of our physical, spiritual, or mental health. The three go hand in hand. When one area of our being is not doing well; the rest will also become weak.

I pray that you all enjoy good health and well-being.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: