Saturday, January 21, 2017

President Trump; The Energizer President

Whatever may come, we now have a very non-low energy
president.

He gives strength to the weary 
   and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:29-31 NIV


Yesterday, was a very tiring day for me. I was exhausted and fell asleep on the living room floor by 6:30 pm as I watched the presidential inauguration activities on television. I had skipped through my quiet time with the Lord in the morning because of my schedule which was probably the reason for my weariness. I woke up this morning thinking about our new president. President Donald Trump, who has at least ten years on me, did not appear to be weary by the time I was falling asleep last night and he still had many hours to go. I smiled to myself. President Trump is like the Energizer Bunny. He just keeps going and going. On top of all of his other attributes; I think God just may have a sense of humor.


Although I am not always too thrilled about the way he has always expressed himself in the past; but, because I trust God, I trust that President Trump has genuine hope for this country and for all of the people of this country. He began his inauguration day (as all; but, one president did since F.D. Roosevelt) by worshipping God. Maybe that was the secret of him being able to get through yesterday with so much energy.

I had laughed when he actually decided to run for president. I thought he was just throwing in the hat for something to entertain himself with. I am still smiling. I definitely would have preferred a much more gentle-spoken man for the position of leader in this country and was disheartened when my preferred candidate dropped out of the race. In the end, I must confess that I do not know the plans that God has for this country. But, I do believe that whatever they are; they are plans for the good. (Rom 8:28) 


Not everyone is going to appreciate President Trump. I have not always appreciated all of our former presidents, either. When Ronald Reagan became president, I grieved. I could not imagine an actor making a good president. But, while ranting and raving about it I heard from the Lord: "You don't have to like him. But, I have appointed him and you need to respect him." There was only one election after his that I grieved over. That one was from the Democratic party. But, I did not go out and destroy property or assault those who voted for him. Not everyone is going to like President Trump. But, we can either choose to work civilly with him and one another for the good of all the people in this country or we can go about burning cars and destroying private businesses and homes or generally trampling on the rights of others because we are dissatisfied with the results of this last election. Each individual can choose whether to work together as a country for the good of all or to divide it even further for the sake of personal agendas. That is up to the individual. Personally, I am a bit tired of the disunity (Yup, working in unity is a part of my personal agenda). Disunity has taken it's toll on the people; on this country. The disunity has diminished the hope of the people. It has made us a very weary people.


May God renew our hope so that we might live in peace and unity. May God help us to trust that He has a plan for the good of the many.

One last word according to St. Paul's letter to the Romans, chapter 13, verses 1-7:
"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor." 


We may not like all of our public officials and I don't know anyone who appreciates paying taxes. But, there are peaceful means by which we can express our discontent. God has not given us the right to attack or destroy those who disagree with our personal agendas. Let us learn to work together instead of against one another.

May God renew our strength so that we will not grow weary but continue in a pursuit of good for all people. God help this country to soar as on the wings of an eagle.

God's Peace - Pr. J

P.S. Those who know me; know that I have very little musical ability. Now you know that my drawing skills are also very limited!

No comments: