Friday, June 21, 2019

Depression Flees Under His Wings

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”
Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
                                            Psalm 91:1-7 KJV

Depression and anxiety afflicts us all from time to time. As a young person, it hit me a lot. I still get depressed from time to time. When I do I focus on the Lord, not on myself. What does the Lord want me to do? Love others? Help others? Or, focus on my pain and suffering? When I ask myself these questions, the answer is easy. It is to focus on others and on the good gifts that God has given me. The blessings are beyond counting and life is good because God is good. The gifts that He has given me are not just for my sake; but, to be used for the sake of others around me.

The verses from Psalm 91 were always a great help to bring me out of the darkness of depression. I read them often and prayed them often. They are a reminder that God is with us and for us. We can dwell in His shelter or we can step out of that shelter into depression, fear, and the anxiety that are brought on by insisting on doing what we want and finding out that what we want is not right nor good for us or for anyone around us. 

Take refuge in the Lord and He shall cover you with His loving and protective feathers. You will find peace that you cannot even imagine right now as you rest in His shelter. Trust in the Lord and in His truth and you will know peace.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: