Monday, June 17, 2019

JK


When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. (1 Cor 13:11 KJV)

My question for the morning: Are jokes that disrespect others actually funny? They appear to be funny; at least to those who still insist on thinking like children. Disrespectful jokes have been my pet peeve for a good many years.

I enjoy a good joke as much as the next person. I use to enjoy watching comedies. Not so much any more. All too often the expected laughter is derived from watching someone be hurt or bullied or just flat out disrespected. Our children see this bullying of others and often emulate it. 

I don't know how many times I've heard a young person say something really inappropriate and when giving them the "eye" or flat out calling them on it they would quickly say "jk," "just kidding," "can't you take a joke?" or something very similar in order to justify the fact that they just debased someone. They told a lie about someone by trying to turn it into a joke. Most of the time, that does not work. It just sounds childish.

It is not just children who tell off-color jokes. After all, they learn this stuff from somewhere. As the only female clergy at a lunch meeting with a group of male clergy, I once listened to anti-feminist (sexual in nature) jokes for about five minutes before I finally asked the male pastor how old he was. He told me (a few years younger than me) and asked me why I wanted to know. I told him that I was wondering if maybe he was going through male menopause since he was so focused on telling inappropriate jokes. The jokes stopped for that day any way. 

Speaking of pastors, there was also that pastor who thought it was a joke to slap me on the backside as he walked by. That is not a joke. That is called sexual harassment. That was over fifteen years ago. I have not spoken to him since.

I am not saying that all jokes are bad. I do like to laugh, myself. Sometimes comedy is used to point out injustices rather than invoke them. That can be a very good thing. Comedians and satirists and just regular people can sometimes best tell the truth about a matter using comedy. But, when comedy is used, it would really be nice if behind the joke there is actually truth. 

Sometimes it is best to "shut up and grow up!" or just "grow up."  Not every joke is funny. Many are hurtful. There are times when we really need to consider whether it might be time to put away childish things. 

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: