Tuesday, June 25, 2019

No Looking Back

And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest. And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head. And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God. And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house. And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God. (Luke 9:57-62 KJV)

Following Jesus is not what many make it out to be. We do not follow him so life will be easier here in this world. We know that life is not going to hand us all the luxuries that humankind desires just because we say we believe in Jesus.

In fact, Jesus promises that it will not be an easy journey. Jesus had no real home of his own. He traveled a lot so that he could bring the good news to many; not just a few in his home territory. He did not have a soft bed and big screen televisions (of course no one did in that day!). He did not have a private airplane so he could commune with our Father. When he wanted to be alone with our Father to talk to Him and listen to Him he went out into the wilderness. He told his disciples that if they were to follow him they were going to have to do without the comforts of home and family in order to get out there and do as he was doing: proclaiming the Good News; the kingdom of God. 

In short; in order to follow Jesus, we must die to our own egos and desires. They must be put aside so that the will of God is done. St. Paul wrote to the Galatians: I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Gal 2:20)

Once you begin to follow Jesus; if you are truly following Jesus, there is no going back. In fact, if you are truly following him, you will not want to go back to the way you once lived. He is the way, and the truth and the life! (John 14:6) "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: