Saturday, June 22, 2019

Not I, but Christ

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Gal 2:20 KJV)


Before bed, I usually listen to some YouTube speakers or preachers on my phone. If they start off with long introductions and a litany of the preachers credentials, I usually find someone else to listen to. I do not care about their credentials. Credential are of no importance to me. What I want and need to hear is about who God is and what He has done and what He continues to do. All glory belongs to God!



Years ago my congregation hosted a Suomi Conference Word and Song Festival. As host, I was expected to greet everyone and according to the president introduce myself with some details of who I am, what I have done. Honestly, that makes me a whole lot uncomfortable. Because the only "I am" that is important is the one whose name is "I Am" and everything good that has been accomplished in my life has been done by Him. The glory goes to God!



So, instead of talking about the details of what I may or may not have done or where I come from or have been, I greeted everyone and introduced myself with: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Gal 2:20) All glory belongs to God!



What a relief it should be to hear these words: "I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."  He willingly took all of our sins to the cross. He lovingly bore our sins and the punishment for our sins on that cross. He suffered and died for us. He did this so that all who believe in him would be reconciled to our Father in heaven and live eternally in the presence of God. 



In baptism, we receive a new life in Christ. The old man and all of our sins are wiped out and we live, yet not we, but it is Christ who lives in us. 



Without the abiding presence of Christ, we can do no good thing. Jesus said, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (John 15:4-5)



All glory belongs to the one who loves us and died for us and yet lives. By the shedding of the blood of Jesus, you are forgiven your sins. May he live in you and you in him.



God's Peace - Pr. J                                                    


No comments: