Sunday, June 16, 2019

Peace Like A River

Peace Like A River - At Home For The Summer
This is what the Lord says—
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
“I am the Lord your God,
who teaches you what is best for you,
who directs you in the way you should go.
If only you had paid attention to my commands             
your peace would have been like a river,
your well-being like the waves of the sea.” 
                                    (Isa 48:17-18 NIV)

The hymn "When Peace Like a River" or "All Is Well With My Soul" is a favorite among many. It is one of my favorite hymns. It was written by Horatio G. Spafford in 1873. Not long before he wrote it; his four daughters had died in a collision with another ship as they crossed the Atlantic. His wife survived and sent him this message, "Saved alone." Later, as he, himself, crossed the Atlantic and neared the spot where his daughters had died, he was inspired to write this hymn. The LORD, in His mercy has taught us that no matter what befalls us, it can be well with our soul. All who abide in Christ will know the peace that only He can give.

We have returned to Aura for the summer. It is my peaceful place. I do not recall a day that I have been here that I have not thanked God for landing me in this awesome place. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to be doing in my retirement; but, I know that many of those days will be spent in peace.  Since Lake Superior and it's bays appear to be at an all time high water level, I will be able to launch my kayak right from the back door! I will not have to navigate around anything to get out into the bay; no dragging it through the marsh. Smooth sailing! Peaceful paddling.

Thanks be to God for all that He has given us!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: