Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Do Not Be Afraid To Share The Good News!

Zeba Methodist Camp Meeting
at 7 pm, August. 5-9, 2019. The Worship space is a beautiful, peaceful 
place in the woods!
I will be sharing the Good News on Wed., August 7 this year. 
It is good to be back! Everyone is welcome to worship with us!
After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come. Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves. Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way. And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house. And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again. (Luke 10:1-3, 5-6 KJV)

I just can't do it! I cannot count the times that I've heard: "I can't do it! I can't go knocking on anyone's door!" I have heard these words while in both evangelism and stewardship committees. Now, while I am not into "programs" to grow the church or the bank account, I am into going out and inviting people to get to know Jesus.

Over the years I have knocked on many doors while my congregations (with a few exceptions) have totally rejected going out into the neighborhood to visit our neighbors and invite them to hear what Jesus has done for them and for all of us. 

Jesus sent seventy people out. They were not apostle's. They were ordinary people with extraordinary faith that instilled in them a sense of this is what they needed to do. I am convinced that many of them were a bit hesitant about their abilities and so he sent out two by two to support each other. Some of them may have even been afraid of who might be behind the doors they were knocking on. I have been warned on more than one occasion that it was too dangerous for me, a female, to be knocking on doors. But, I went anyway. 

I went blessing each house with peace as I stood at the door and knocked knowing that if there were not peaceful people within the house that the blessing would fall back on me. And, truth be told, I don't have a problem being blessed with peace! So, it was a win-win for me. Either I got to share the Good News of the Kingdom of God or I got blessed with the peace of God. 

No, I do not believe that "programs" work. They just feel too contrived. They feel way too man-made. But, I do believe that we need to go out and share the Good News. We do not need to be intimidated by the world around us as we go for the Spirit of Christ, the Spirit of Peace goes with us. 

The harvest is plenty and laborers are needed. Who will go? Who will say: "I will go. Send me." Now, I know you're probably not going to be knocking on too many doors. But, may the Spirit of Christ lead you to share the Good News of the Kingdom of God through Jesus with those whom you do encounter in your daily routines. This is not just your pastor's "job." It is yours.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: