Friday, July 19, 2019

The Spirit And Living Waters

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson
Aguasabon Falls, Terrace Bay, Ontario, Canada
In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
                                                                                  (John 7:37-39 KJV)

In faith the Good News shall go out to the world from within us. Yet; understand, that is not because of our ability that this is done. It is the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ, that dwells within us that refreshes the people with the promise of the Kingdom of God through Christ Jesus even as the waters of the rushing river will refreshes the land.

Without the Holy Spirit, we can do nothing. It is the Holy Spirit that will guide us and speak this Good News through us. 

It took me many, many years to grasp who the Holy Spirit is. It took me many years to figure out that without the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life and I mean active in my life that my life was pretty sedentary; literally so passive that it was as though I was one of the walking dead. There was no life in me. So, I asked. I asked the Holy Spirit to introduce himself to me... And, the Holy Spirit did. Before the Spirit's presence, life was pretty lifeless.

If the Holy Spirit is not present and active in your life. If you do not know the Holy Spirit (as many Christians including Lutherans have never been introduced to the Spirit) listen to these words of Jesus:

"And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"
                                                                                    (Luke 11:9-10,13)
Ask and receive... that living waters might flow through you like a river, refreshing those around you.
God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: