Wednesday, October 21, 2020

He Died For The Good We Do Not Do

I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart. (Psalm 40:8 KJV)

It is a joy to worship and to serve the Lord. Yet, we often find that we are doing exactly the opposite. This is part and parcel of the sinful nature of humankind. We know what is right. Yet, we find ourselves being steered in the wrong direction. 

St. Paul, the great missionary and evangelist found himself in the same situation. He wrote: 

For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. (Rom 7:16-20)

There are days when we can be torn between which direction to go in. Is one way wrong and the other way right? Which is which? Which way will lead me to appease the flesh and which way is the way that the Spirit of God would have me go?

When Peter, James and John witnessed Jesus transfigured on the mountain and speaking with Elijah and Moses they heard a voice coming from the cloud that hung overhead: "This is my beloved Son: hear him." (Mark 9:7) 

Listen to him and follow in the way that he would have you go. Sometimes, that still is easier said than done. The world, our flesh, our sinful natures sometimes want to shout over the Word of the Lord and it can be confusing. We can be pulled in many directions by all of these voices. Like Paul, we will do what we ought not do even when deep inside we know that there is a better way; even when we don't want to do it. 

Thanks be to God for his mercy is great. He has sent his only begotten Son to take away the sins of the world. Thanks be to God for the Lamb of God, "Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father: To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." (Gal 1:4-5)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: