Saturday, October 31, 2020

Know The Word; Know The Truth

And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
                                                                               (John 17:13-17 KJV)

On the night that he was betrayed Jesus prayed for his disciples. He prayed that they and we might be sanctified through the truth; that we might know the truth. 

There was a lot of heresy in the church of Martin Luther's day. There was a lot of superstitious nonsense promulgated by the clergy. I don't think that all of the clergy did this maliciously. I believe that they simply did not know the truth. Not all of them had regular and actual access to the word found in scripture. They taught and preached what had been taught and preached to them. A whole lot of that lacked truth.

Thankfully, much of that changed with the reformation. During that time period, Martin Luther translated the Holy Bible into German so that the pastors and lay people could read the word of God for themselves.

We have that access today in whatever language we speak. Yet, I often hear really crazy un-truths about what the word of God says coming from not just lay people; but, clergy as well. The lay people get many of these false ideas from the clergy.  They simply don't bother to read what the word has to say for themselves. 

I am not saying that you should not attend worship and hear the word of God through the clergy. You should!  Rather, I am saying that we all need to spend more time in daily devotions reading and meditating on the word of God so that we might know the truth. 

Thank God for the many saints who have come and gone before us. Thank God for the saints who have witnessed to the through the many generations since our Lord gave himself on the cross for us. Thank God and get to know him! Thank God for the word of truth who is Jesus the Christ.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: