Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Why Is There No Room In The Inn?


While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them. Luke 2:6-7 NIV

What does this mean? What does this mean for you?

Traveling, Joseph and Mary found themselves without a place to sleep. In labor, Mary had no place to give birth except for in a barn.

When I first began traveling cross country alone so many years ago, I would just pull into a road side park, lock the car doors, and sleep when I became tired. I did not see a need to find an inn as I would only be sleeping for a few hours at the most. Today, this is not something that I would do. Today, I find an inn and sleep for a good five to six hours before I travel again. I do this not just because I'm aging and know that I need more than a couple of hours of sleep before I'm rested enough to drive; but, because today, it is much more dangerous to be sleeping alone in a roadside park. It's just not a good idea. It is also illegal in many areas of the country.

In the midst of the winter, when temperatures drop, my sense of what the homeless endure is heightened. What can be done for the homeless? In the north, where temperatures tend toward freezing and below, there are many towns and small cities without even one homeless shelter. There are no "inns" for them. Larger cities don't appreciate the homeless sleeping in tents or in makeshift shelters in their midst. Some even take away their tents or destroy their shelters. I get frustrated at the naivety of posts on social media that suggest we could build decent looking tiny, tiny houses for the homeless. That's a great idea. But, most of these suggested tiny shelters have no running water and would not be allowed in most of the country because of local zoning laws. We need to do more!

What is a world to do to help those who have no place to lay their heads at night? Why is there no room in the inn?

God's Peace - Pr. J 

No comments: