Thursday, June 8, 2017

Peace And Joy Beside Still Waters

Baby and Adult Manatee, Bulow Creek, FL
"He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul..." (Psalm 23:2b-3a NKJV)

God has once again blessed me with a home where I can sit beside still waters and know a semblance of peace. In the midst of a small village with homes all around, I can sit on the dock in the backyard and watch wildlife. That is an activity that brings me both peace and joy.

And, what joy it can bring. I spent most of last evening, until it became too dark to see, sitting on that dock watching manatee swimming about in the canal. These huge sea creatures are so gentle and trusting. As I stood at the edge of the dock one of the adults and the baby came up to me repeatedly lifting their heads out of the water to both breathe and take a look at me. They move slowly and gracefully through the water as though they do not have a care in the world.

I noticed even the young alligator who normally come out to take a look at me stayed far away from them. There is only one real predator of the manatee and that is humankind. No, they are not hunted here in the U.S.. But, our boat propellers, discarded and tangled fishing lines, and other human sources are the main cause of death outside of natural death due to aging. The large manatee that greeted me last night is quite scarred up from boat propellers. It appears she has run been run over by more than one boat. 

In spite of the fact that humankind is the only real danger to them, it does not stop them from investigating us close up. They are not afraid. They appear to live in peace. I thank God for the reminder of peace and the joy that they bring to this sometimes fretful heart.

May God help you to find still waters.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: