Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Holy Spirit Grows The Church

The Holy Spirit; the Spirit of Christ, grows and edifies the church
in heaven and on earth; which is the Body of Christ.

Apostle's Creed
The Third Article.

Of Sanctification.
I believe in the Holy Ghost; one holy Christian Church, the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.

What does this mean?--Answer.
I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Ghost has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith; even as He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian Church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith; in which Christian Church He forgives daily and richly all sins to me and all believers, and at the last day will raise up me and all the dead, and will give to me and to all believers in Christ everlasting life. This is most certainly true.

This past week, I felt the Holy Spirit moving in a very powerful way. Now, when the Holy Spirit moves it is good thing to go wherever the Spirit leads you; do whatever the Spirit is inspiring you to do. 

My congregation, as hopefully all congregations, has been more seriously focusing on evangelism (and ultimately church growth) for the past few months. I have been around for awhile. I have seen many church growth programs. Church growth programs tend to be one of my pet peeves. There really is no one church growth program that fits all congregations. There is not one church growth program that will have any lasting effect unless it is empowered by the Holy Spirit.

We can use all the power and might; all the reason; all the energy that we can muster, and it will not avail us. It is the Holy Spirit that calls and gathers; enlightens; brings us to; and, keeps us in the one true faith. Without the Spirit of Christ we can do nothing! All the programs in the world will accomplish nothing without the Spirit of Christ. It is only Christ who saves! It is the Spirit of Christ; the Holy Spirit; who for 2000 years has brought growth to the Body of Christ. If we claim any of that for ourselves we are denying the power of the Holy Spirit. We are denying the power of God and lifting ourselves up in the place of God. Very, very, bad idea! Not only is that blasphemy, it would be a very fruitless effort.

I am not saying that we should not reach out to the world with the Good News. I am saying that we need to trust in the power of the Holy Spirit that works in and through us to do that. Jesus said that he would send the helper to guide us in the truth. It would greatly behoove us to listen to the Spirit of Truth rather than the world.

May the Lord our God fill His whole church on earth with the power of the Holy Spirit that we might live and reach out to others in His truth and in His love.

God's Peace - Pr. J


No comments: