Friday, January 19, 2018

Desire To Depart And Be With Christ?

Safely home means you made it home; but, does not mean you
escaped all trials and tribulations in the getting there.
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. (Philippians 1:20-24 NIV)


I have just finished reading Eric Metaxas' Bonhoeffer Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy and highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a very good book to read. In recent years, I have not read much literature outside of the Holy Scriptures for at least a couple of reasons. First, I really haven't found much recent work that was worth reading; and secondly, my poor eyesight requires me to wear bifocals which are a bother and to continually adjust the position of the book in order to see the letters. But, when this book was given to me I felt I should at least try. In the reading of Bonhoeffer I recognized another reason that has probably steered me away from reading too much. That reason is because "good literature" is born out of the human condition and the human condition is not in such a good state. What I see in the world around me today is bad enough without being reminded of even more sorrows.

Bonhoeffer brought me to tears more than once as I read about Dietrich's struggle to discern the will of God and then to do it for the good of the people. He strived to be faithful to God and to his call as a child of God and as a pastor. He was unwilling to serve in the German Army, not because he was afraid of dying; but, because he would not participate in the murder of innocent people. Yet, at the same time he was willing to put his own life on the line as he conspired to assassinate Hitler.

I read with tears over and over again the words from a sermon that he preached while he was pastor in London:
No one has yet believed in God and the kingdom of God, no one has yet heard of the realm of the resurrected and not been homesick, from that hour, waiting and looking forward joyfully to being released from bodily existence.
Dietrich knew and desired to be at home with our Father in the Kingdom prepared for us. Yet, very much like St. Paul, while he lived in the flesh here in this world he was willing to serve God and humankind whenever and however God directed him to serve even if it meant being tortured and executed. Executed; after all, would return him home to our Father.

Yes, I wept much through the reading of the book. I wept to see such great love in a man for our God and for all of humankind.  Such love seems so rare.

God help us to love enough to be willing to sacrifice our personal needs so that the will of God is done through us for the good of others.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: