Monday, January 1, 2018

A New Day In Christ

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!"
                 2 Corinth 5:17 NIV
It is the first day of a new year. What has changed since yesterday? The answer for most of us is probably not much. But, over the many years a lot has changed. Years ago, I would've been laying on the couch watching television, cooking cabbage, and generally doing nothing. Today, I find that most of my family, including myself is working.
Many of you have made new year's resolutions. You have resolved to try to change something in your life this new year. I quit making them years ago. I find that I cannot wait for a new year to change. I have found that it is best to take an inventory daily; confessing my sins and resolving to try to change so that I don't keep committing them, with the help and by the power of the Holy Spirit. When I became a child of God, I did not become perfect. I still make mistakes. I still sin. But, I am also a saint (as all who believe are) because the blood of Christ washes away my sins. The blood of Christ sanctifies me.
Most of you (I hope) have changed over the years. It is not very fruitful for you or anyone else for you to not grow and change. We must change.  We must grow in Christ. Who would want to live life as a child for the rest of their lives? And, so it is as new creations, as well. When the new comes with rebirth; the old man in us is washed away. But, we are still  infants in Christ. We will grow in him, slowly but surely, if we have truly been reborn into the Body of Christ. (Yes, there are plenty of imposter Christians - wolves in sheep clothing) The new creation in Christ cannot help but grow by the power of the Spirit of Christ that abides in each of us; by the power of the Holy Spirit that regenerates us to be more like Christ each and every day.
Those of us who know Christ; who abide in him and he in us have changed drastically over the years. Little by little we have grown in him. Slowly but surely we have changed with time.  
If you can look back at your life and see that you have not changed; then please turn to Christ that he might help you grow and live life more abundantly, according to the will of our Father in heaven, by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Have a blessed new year and may you continue to grow in faithfulness and love toward God and one another.
God's Peace - Pr. Judy

No comments: