Saturday, September 8, 2018

Level Ground

Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God;
may your good Spirit
lead me on level ground.
                      (Psalm 143:10)

Mountains and valleys can make for a very interesting journey. They bring many challenges; many opportunities for growth. But, sometimes, especially as I grow older, I would prefer to walk on level ground. I would much prefer to sit at Jesus' feet in quiet and in peace. 

However, as Christ was crucified on a hill according to our Father's will; in order to take up our crosses and follow we should not expect that the ground will be level. It will not always be easy to traverse.

As I get older, I sometimes lament that there are still many mountains to climb and valleys to find my way through. But, I must admit the journey has gotten less chaotic. I am able to stand on level ground much more often than I was able a few decades ago. I have found much more time just to sit at Jesus' feet and that sitting for a time has made the valleys and mountains much easier to traverse.

Isaiah prophesied that every mountain and hill would be made low and every valley raised up. (Isa 40:3-4)

A voice of one calling:
“In the wilderness prepare
   the way for the Lord;
make straight in the desert
   a highway for our God.
Every valley shall be raised up,
   every mountain and hill made low;
the rough ground shall become level,
   the rugged places a plain.
                               (Isaiah 40:3-4)

God in Christ Jesus can make our journeys smooth even when we encounter the many ups and downs in this world: if we would only listen to God and follow where the Spirit would lead us.

May the Spirit of God lead you on straight paths and level ground so that you might know the peace and the glory of God.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: