Tuesday, September 18, 2018

We Go By Faith


The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.
Boundary Waters, MN
Lead Us Wherever You Would Have Us Go
“I will make you into a great nation,
   and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
   and you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
   and whoev
er curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
   will be blessed through you.”
So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran.
                             (Genesis 12:1-3 NIV)

The Lord tells Abram "pack up your stuff and go. I am going to bless you and bless everyone else who blesses you, as well." Abram doesn't question if God will keep his promise. He doesn't not trust God to be with him. Abram hears the word of the Lord, believes him, and goes. He packs up everything and everyone and takes off into the wilderness to follow wherever God will lead him. He's not concerned where. He just goes.

I've often thought about this story when I've heard Pastor's say they can only answer a call to serve somewhere if it is near a good school; if there will be jobs available that will enhance their spouses careers; if it's not too hot; or too cold. We can find so many reasons not to go where God would have us go. I've also known Pastors who have packed up everything or sold it all and with their families went off to live and serve in mission fields in areas that many others would never even consider worth visiting. 

God told Abram to move and he did. He simply trusted God. 

If God l is calling you to reach out and go somewhere or do something; won't you listen, trust him, and follow wherever he would lead? Our Lord, Jesus did; after all, promise you a marvelous thing: that he would be with you even to the end of the age. What greater blessing can there be than that?

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: