Friday, September 24, 2021

Adulting

Photo by Judy Mattson

Psalm 143:7-8

Hear me speedily, O Lord: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.

Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

+++

My second granddaughter is working on the transition from teen to adult. She is working on adulting.  She is doing quite well in spite of society's rules and regulations making it much harder than when I or her parents made the transition. I first heard this term "adulting" when her older sister was making that transition into adulthood. I laughed as I thought that she had made it up. But, I checked the Urban Dictionary and it appears to be a word that is being used today. Adulting is when a young person begins to take on things that would be considered adult-like. These might be things as simple as getting out of bed on time to go to school or work without anyone having to wake them up or filling out a job application without assistance or trying to apply for a credit card so they can actually work on a credit score which in this day and age is required to do a whole lot of things including renting a place to live. 

Of course, this transition is a process; and, the training of a young person to make this transition should actually begin at birth. But, that jump from teen to adult is not always easy even for those who have been adulting (bearing the responsibilities of an adult) for many years.

The psalmist prayed that the Lord would teach him the way that he should go. This is my prayer for all of our young people. That the Lord would be with them; guiding them in His Way as they learn how to be mature and fruitful adults. It is not easy to make that transition from teen to adult. Aging is a process that cannot be stopped. Prayerfully, as we all age, we will also all grow and mature in Christ. May God be with our young people as they learn to follow in the way that He would have them go.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: