Tuesday, November 2, 2021

The Greatest Sermon Ever

Photo Judy Mattson
And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:

And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
                                                                       (Matt 5:1-12 KJV)

For many years serving small congregations I used not just the Gospel designated for All Saints Sunday; but, I preached the greatest sermon that is and ever was. No it was not my sermon. It was Jesus' sermon. It is the entire Sermon on the Mount.  I only had a couple people object to my doing that. Of course, some did. LOL

One youth at a correctional facility reported me for saying his mother was going to hell. I did not!  I did not use any of my own words to preach the word. I stood on a hill outside of the correctional facility with the youth sitting around me and just preached the words as they were written. 

The only other time that I heard complaints about not writing my own sermon for All Saints Sunday it was because I did not write my own sermon. Can you imagine that! Critiqued for preaching the words that Jesus preached according to  the Gospel of St. Matthew! SMH

The Holy Spirit extraordinarily opens the ears of those who are listening. The many will hear exactly what they need to hear. Some will not like what they hear and turn away. Others will find peace in the word of God. This is not because the preacher is so good. It is because the word of God is like a two-edged sword. It can strike down or it can bring healing to the wounded soul depending upon what is needed. Sometimes the striking down is necessary so that the word of God which is like a two-edged sword can bring the healing necessary. The preacher doesn't do this. He or she is just a mouthpiece so that Christ can carry on the work of salvation through us. 

Since I am retired from preaching every Sunday and will not be preaching the greatest sermon ever this coming Sunday please click on the link I'm providing and read it for yourself: Sermon on the Mount

Have a blessed week!

God's Peace - Pr. J.

P.S.  Just a reminder that I use the King James Version as there are no copywrites on it and I don't have to count words. 

No comments: