Monday, March 27, 2017

Study The Word

Christ Lutheran Church Adult Sunday School

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim 3:14-17 NIV)

We can never know everything. We can read the Holy Scriptures front to back many times and still not know it all. Therefore; we continue to study the word given to us. We continue to teach it.

When I was young, I was told that when we stop learning, we die. I have always enjoyed reading. But, as I have gotten older two things have happened. I do a lot of reading on my computer as I can enlarge the print and see it much easier. Books can be purchased and downloaded. There are also many free sites that one can go to. I usually read an online Bible for my devotions. And, when I need or want to go to the Book of Concord (Yes, I am Lutheran) I use an online one of that, as well, as I can find things much easier by doing a search in the book. 

The second thing that has happened as I have aged, is that I am more selective in my choices of reading material. While, at one time I read a lot of fiction, what I read now is mostly for learning or study purposes. There is enough fantasy in the world around me to make me not desire any more drama. Although, I have to say that I am finding a lot of what is being presented today as non-fiction to be very fictitious. I am more interested in truth and that is what I find in the Holy Scriptures. Therefore; the Holy Scriptures are what I read and study over and over again.

Every Sunday morning our adult Sunday School meets at Christ Lutheran prior to worship. It is an awesome group! We are presently studying Paul's letter to the Romans. We don't always care for some of the things that Paul's writings relay to us. We debate it. We even try to justify our own take on his words, at times. But, in the end, we usually come to the conclusion that we don't know it all. We don't understand it all. We must continue on studying the Holy Scriptures for whether we "get it" all or not these words we read are God-breathed and useful for teaching and training even us older children of God so that we may be more equipped to serve our God.

We would love to have you join us so that you with us we might all gain a better understanding of our salvation through faith in Jesus the Christ.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: