Friday, March 17, 2017

Troll Has Received His Promise

Troll with one of the classes he prepared for their first Communion
as they receive their first Communion.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
    he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
   for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
   I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff—
   they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
   in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    my whole life long.
                                      Psalm 23 NRSV

No matter how dark the valleys may get, those who believe in Jesus the Christ know that Jesus is with them guiding us; comforting us. My dear friend Troll (Michael) died last night. Troll joined Zion Lutheran Church in Skanee a number of years ago. He quickly became very active; teaching our children in Sunday School and preparing them for their first Communion. The children loved him. We all loved him. I do not recall ever seeing him at the church without his Bible in hand and when I visited him after he fell ill; there was the Bible and the church directory beside his bed. He never left home without them.

Troll's journey through life was not always easy. He suffered even before the strokes with PTSD. He had served as a medic stateside during Vietnam, trying to minister to those who had come back wounded. His retirement came after years of service as a police officer in Detroit, MI for 27 years, which also lends itself to having to experience major traumatic incidents on an ongoing basis. But, through the darkest of valleys, his faith did not leave him. Sometimes, he felt as though his faith was buried too deep within him. After he retired he searched hard for more faith. That more faith came to him as a gift from God. Today, even as I remember him and grieve our loss, I am confident that goodness and mercy has followed his life on earth and he dwells in the house of the Lord for all of eternity.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: