Saturday, March 18, 2017

Threats? So What Of It?


     At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, “Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you.”
     He replied, “Go tell that fox, ‘I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.’ In any case, I must press on today and tomorrow and the next day—for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem! (Luke 13:31-35 NIV)

Run! Herod wants to kill you, some Pharisees had warned Jesus. Oh well! Whatever! Jesus had a mission and he was not going to run from Herod. He would continue driving out demons and healing people until he reached his goal. His goal was the cross. He was going to die, so what difference did it make whether Herod was looking to kill him or not. He wasn't about to let a few threats dissuade him from continuing the work he was called to do.

Personally, I get a bit weary of the threats. I am not Jesus. But, he is with me and gives me the strength to continue onward wherever he will call or send me. I will continue to proclaim the Good news. I will continue to pray in the spirit. I will continue. He has led me this far. He is with me always. He will lead me home. I know that even though Jesus' journey took him to death on the cross; it also took him through death to the Kingdom of God where he reigns. So, threats may wear me down a bit, but they will not strike me down completely. I will continue with faith and hope toward the goal, by the power of the Holy Spirit, even if it includes a journey to the cross.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: