Thursday, May 4, 2017

Enlarge Our Borders

Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, “I gave birth to him in pain.” Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.  1 Chron 4:9-10 NIV

Among the descendants of Judah, is one Jabez.  In the middle of the list of Judah's descendants is a description of this one obscure son. He is born in pain.  He is a humble man who prays to the God of Israel, "Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!" (4:10) God answered his prayer. It does not say how.  It just says he answered this prayer.

Now, I'm thinking the fact that he prayed for these things and God answered has to be pretty important; otherwise, wide would this obscure man's prayer be placed in the middle of this genealogy? I have heard many negative critiques of this prayer.  Yet, I pray it often for others whom I love. It is a simple prayer. Jabez asked God to bless him, to keep him from harm and to enlarge his borders or his territories. The critique I've often heard is that enlarging the territories is about riches as in silver and gold or maybe houses and cars or airplanes. Some would turn Jabez' humble prayer into a selfish prayer. 

However, for the Christian our borders are on the mission field. We do not look at this prayer as a magical means to fill our pockets; but as a prayer that God would bless us with missions, with opportunities to reach out to the whole world with the same love He has for us so that others might come to know him. Evangelism is the purpose for which we pray our borders to be expanded. 

Who would not want their loved ones to be blessed by the LORD, to be kept from harm and know no pain and to have ever expanding borders to proclaim the praises of God? Oh, LORD, expand our territory so that we might reach out to even more, to the multitudes, with the Good News of your Kingdom, through Jesus Christ, our LORD.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: