Thursday, May 18, 2017

Water And The Word In Abundance, Please!


Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. (Rom 6:3-5 NIV)



Each morning as the sun begins to rise, I go and sit on the dock in my backyard and watch the fish jump and the alligators swimming around in the creek. I thoroughly enjoy being near the water. In years past, I enjoyed diving. But, my dive buddy (my husband) gave it up when we lived in Michigan because he did not like the cold waters. I gave it up with him. I miss it at times. Now, I mostly kayak, when I have the time, so that I can feel the flow of the water beneath me. Paddling or floating along in the quiet of the early morning gives me the opportunity to talk to and listen to God without interruption. The water is a reminder of the life I (we) have been given through the washing of water and the Word.

By water and the Word we were baptized into the Body of Christ. Human beings, all animals and plants need water to survive. But, more importantly we need the Word to truly live life and to receive the promise of eternal life in God's presence. I suffer greatly when either of these two things; the water or the Word, are absent in abundance in my life. Yes... I need lots of both!

I cannot look upon a body of water without being reminded that we have been drowned in the waters of Baptism and now live through faith in the Christ who was raised from the dead for us and for our salvation.

I am (and hopefully you are) a child of God, drowned in the waters of baptism and raised by the mighty Word of God. 

God's Peace - Pr. J  

No comments: