Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Halloween; All Hallows' Eve; All Saints' Eve; Reformation Day?

"For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” (Gal 2:19-21 NIV)



This 31st day of October seems to always present me a slight dilemma. Actually, it frustrates me a little. Who and what is it that we celebrate this day? 

It appears to me that the devil has managed to get many of us to switch our focus from Jesus and the grace of God to something quite different on this day. Way too many Christians no longer recognize the significance of this holy day and even the pagan holiday has lost its punch.

Today, it seems that most of the country is celebrating the pagan holiday of Halloween. But, are they really? The celebration of this secular holiday has changed by leaps and bounds just in my lifetime. Today it seems that it's more about who can find the most elaborate costumes or how many parties one can attend. The celebration of Halloween seems to stretch across days, even weeks, rather than just on the Eve of All Saint's Day. Halloween is much different than what it once was.

There are still many Christians who do celebrate All Hallows' Eve or All Saints' Eve on this day. They remember all of the saints who have given their lives to service of God. They remember all the saints of times past, present, and even the future.

There are those of us who also remember that today is the day that is considered to be the birthday of  the Great Reformation of the church. Today, this day in 2017, is the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. This is not just a day for Lutherans to celebrate; but for all who believe in Jesus to celebrate for through Martin Luther and many other men and women the truth that we are righteous in the eyes of God; the truth that has set us free from bondage to sin, death, and the devil; not by anything that we do; not by any of our good works; but, by the grace of God through faith alone in the one who lived and died and lives again for us and through us, Jesus Christ our Saviour and Lord.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." (Eph 2:8-9)

Let us on this day and every day give thanks to God for His abundant mercy and grace!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: