Saturday, February 6, 2021

I Prefer The WIlderness

 

"It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman." (Prov 21:9 KJV)


Whether it is a contentious man or woman or even a contentious and angry neighbor, it is better to dwell in the wilderness where one is not wholly distracted by conflict. God did not intend for us to spend our lives fighting with others.

I have had more than my share of contentious neighbors. I have often said that I would prefer to live in a tent than in a situation where I don't even want to go outside. There have been more than a few places like that. The last place that we lived in had a dock on a canal that I could launch my kayak from. By the time we finally moved I rarely sat on the dock because my neighbor would watch every move I made. I felt like I was being stalked!

I am now living in a more rural area without too much land; but, with wooded areas surrounding us. The area is growing. But, at least for now my yard is not visible to any of my neighbors. We also own a small home in a cedar swamp on a river off of Lake Superior. We should sell it since we don't use it much; but, I am reluctant to because I am not sure if one day I will begin to feel closed in again and I will have to retreat to it and hide out in the wilderness.  Many would disagree that this would be a right way to go; but, that is who I am.

Simply put: After years (decades) of living house to house with others, I love the wilderness. I love people too. But, I do need quiet time and space to spend with the one I love most. I don't appreciate it when anyone disrupts my ability to commune and communicate with my God; with my Lord and Savior. 

The prophet Isaiah wrote:  "Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field, till there be no place, that they may be placed alone in the midst of the earth!" (Isa 5:8)

I thank God that He has provided me with quiet and at least semi-wilderness places to abide with Him at this point in my life. (I also thank God for Robin who shovels our roof in Michigan and makes sure home in Michigan still has a roof when we get there!)

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: