Saturday, February 20, 2021

Not I, But Christ Who Lives In Me

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Gal 2:20 KJV)

I have not listened to much music over the last few years. I am not big on noise. I thoroughly enjoy quiet. Recently, though, I have come across a couple of different groups that I do enjoy listening to. I woke up this morning to my Youtube channel on Casting Crowns singing "Nobody."

The lyrics include:

"Cause I'm just a nobody
Trying to tell everybody
All about Somebody
Who saved my soul
Ever since You rescued me
You gave my heart a song to sing
I'm living for the world to see
Nobody but Jesus"

This song is a good reminder to me during this Lenten season that we are nothing without Christ. We can accomplish nothing good without Jesus for it is not we but Christ who abides in us who can and does all things. It is Christ alone who strengthens us to do our Father's will.

One of the greatest congregation killers that I've witnessed is ego. When one or a handful of people begin to credit themselves for church growth or keeping the budget intact; when the focus of committees and councils is all about numbers whether its counting people or money, you can expect at least a few members to start church hunting. They will fall away because most people (not all) actually attend worship to hear about the one who rescued them. They want to hear about the one who can and has saved us. They are there to hear about Jesus. They are there to celebrate what the Lord has done for us.

I remember one particular congregation I was a member of. I was a pretty young Christian at the time. The pastor preached the word faithfully. My heart was stirred when I heard his sermons. Yes, there were times I felt convicted; but, it was always filled with joy for the love that Jesus Christ has for us when I heard what he had done for us. At fellowship afterwards I would want to hear more and talk about what I had heard. But, the conversations never really went there. They seemed to be a lot of talk about football or fishing. I often wondered why nobody was talking about Jesus. If he is our first love why aren't we telling everybody about him?

I was nourished with those sermons. But, I heard no words about anyone's love for Jesus or his love for us once we left the sanctuary and gathered together in fellowship. 

As he abides in us he will speak through us. He reaches out to the world through those who love him. He is the one we proclaim. He is the one we praise. So why are our voices so often silent? Is the world; are our own egos and our agendas crowding out Jesus?

We have a song to sing. Let us sing to the world that Jesus the Christ is Lord!

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: