Monday, February 1, 2021

Immediately Or Not?

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson
And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

And immediately his fame spread abroad throughout all the region round about Galilee.

And forthwith, when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.

But Simon's wife's mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell him of her.

And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them. 
                                                                             (Mark 1:27-31 KJV)

And, immediately....  Things seem to happen with Jesus pretty quickly. In fact they happen immediately. When he heals the sick they are healed immediately. When he casts out demons they are cast out immediately. The one story that stands out for me that tells of Jesus procrastinating is the raising of Lazarus from the dead.  

"When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.

Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him."
                                                                             (John 11:6, 14-15)

Jesus procrastinated and did not rush to heal Lazarus before he died so that he would be able to raise him from the dead and increase the faith of his followers.

I often procrastinate. I am not always pleased with myself when I do it. Sometimes when obstacles are thrown in my way I realize that maybe God does not particularly want me to have something or do something; that I must wait or not proceed at all. At other times, I accept the challenge and act immediately to overcome the obstacle. 

There is a time to act and a time to refrain from acting.  "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." (Eccl: 3:1) How can we know the difference? Knowing the answer to that is a challenge in itself. 

The only answer that I am aware of to that question is to stay in the word and listen to it; to pray often; and to trust the Lord as you abide in Him and He in you. If you're not attempting to do that now then maybe you should begin immediately!

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: