Saturday, July 15, 2017

Fishing!

Judy Diving in Atlantic off of Beaurfort, NC
Diving at the USS Aeolus off coast of NC many years ago...

As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.  (Mark 1:16-18 NIV)

It has been a couple of decades now since I have been diving. I loved it. My health was at its best when I was diving. That may have been due to the salt water; maybe the exercise or maybe it was due to the atmospheric pressure or increased oxygen intake or all the aforementioned.

I thoroughly enjoyed being at the bottom of the Atlantic with the fish. But, while there, I never fished. That for me would have been a fruitless effort. I have never been much of a fisherperson. I enjoy being with the fish. I even enjoy eating them. I just cannot catch them. Even as a child I could not catch them. My family would go fishing often. Everyone would catch near their limits and me - NONE, NADA, NOT A THING.

That being said, I do fish; but, not for fish. I have been called, as many of you have, to fish for people. Sometimes my efforts are productive. Sometimes they are not. They are not when I depend on my ability to fish rather than trust God to fill the nets. Whether the fishing is productive or not really depends on the Spirit of God and not on me and not on you. Yes, we have to get out there and share the Good News. But, it is up to the Spirit of Christ to open ears, and eyes and hearts that they might hear and receive. And, it is not you or me who does this fishing; but, Christ who abides in us by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Help us Lord to have the courage and wisdom to go and fish for people. Help us to trust you for a great catch.


God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: