Friday, February 16, 2018

Tame The Tongue



"For every species of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by the human species, but no one can tame the tongue—a restless evil, full of deadly poison." James 3:7-8

I admit that I have picked up a bit of slang and my grammar is not always the best; but, I tell you there are days that I simply do not understand the English that is being used by many today. What sometimes sounds like insults; derogatory remarks toward or about others, I am told actually isn't! That's just the way people talk today. 


I also understand that in this country, according to the first amendment, that we have freedom of speech. But, is that an excuse to falsely slander others? Is that an excuse to get on the internet or television and insinuate or make threats against the safety and well-being of others? It seems as though there are many who seem to think it is. Freedom of speech doesn't actually include threatening the life of others. It is actually illegal and depending on the severity, one can be charged with a crime for doing so.

It can be most difficult to control the tongue when one is angry or hurt; but, in general conversation; when you actually have time to think about it!? Oh, my! There are many days that I just want to run back to my little corner of the universe and sit in silence watching the alligators in the backyard. They usually just lie there and maybe swim around a bit. They do not live in attack mode just for the sake of attacking and harming others.

It is hard to tame the tongue. It is even harder when one has not actually learned the difference between what is appropriate to say and what is not appropriate; what is legal and what is not legal. Yes, I can be bit legalistic. The law can be a great curb to keep us from doing things that would harm others. Think: treat others as you would like to be treated.


Some days the untamed tongues are running so rampant that I can only retreat to my corner and sit in the sheer silence and listen. I listen for our Father's gentle whisper, "Do not fear. I am with you now and always."

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: