Friday, April 27, 2018

Works Follow Faith

   What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
   But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
   Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
    As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
                                                                                    (James 1:14-19, 26 NIV)
 
Martin Luther had a bit of a problem with James. Given the state of the church that he belonged to, it was not unreasonable for him to worry that some might misunderstand James to say that we need faith plus works for salvation. After all, it was a time when people thought that if they gave the church enough money (a good work) they would be saved. This is definitely not the case. There are no good works that we can attempt to do that will save us. The only good work that can save us is the work that Jesus completed on the cross for us. We are saved by faith in Christ alone!

However, if we truly believe that he died for our salvation, we will love him. We will love him as he loved us. He will love us so much that his love in us will overflow as service to others.  Jesus asked Peter, "Do you love me." "Yes," Peter responded three times. Jesus said simply: “'Feed my lambs.' 'Take care of my sheep.' 'Feed my sheep.''' (John 21)

We are not saved by our works. But, we will work to care for his sheep if we truly love the one who gave himself for us.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: