Friday, August 31, 2018

Let Us Bow Down In Worship


Come, let us bow down in worship,
   let us kneel before the Lord our Maker;
for he is our God
   and we are the people of his pasture,
   the flock under his care.
                                     (Psalm 95:6-7 NIV)

Every now and then I hear someone complain that we have too much standing going on during worship. If they are relatively healthy, I remind them that Jesus was nailed to a cross, suffered and died for them and that I don't think that standing in reverence before the Lord as we worship him is really all that much to ask of us. We could kneel instead; but, then again it might take awhile for some of us in advanced years to get back off our knees.

Years ago, I attended the consecration of a Byzantine Monastery. I had also attended their Vespers Service the evening before. In addition to Vespers, since they would be busy the following morning getting ready for the consecration of the monastery and would not have time for their usual Matins, they added additional prayers to Vespers. These particular monks do not sit during their worship services. There is one pew in the back of the sanctuary for those who, due to health, must sit. The evening service was about two hours long. The service the following day was over three hours long. My legs were getting pretty wore out about half way through the dedication of the monastery and I began wondering if it was appropriate to kneel. I was standing behind one of the novices and to my relief he dropped to his knees. So did I. It was not until months later that I found out that they do not worship on their knees. When they bow before the Lord, they bow deeply; but, they do not kneel. 

God has done great things for us, the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. May all God's people bow before the Lord in worshipful praise and thanksgiving for all that he has done.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: