Tuesday, August 28, 2018

SISU

Sorry, no photos of funnel clouds from me. I was not there.
God is our refuge and strength,
   an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
   and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
   and the mountains quake with their surging.
                                             Psalm 46:1-3 NIV

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is a very unique place to live. The people are very unique. They are often called Yoopers. The majority of the Yoopers have SISU, a Finnish term for grit or courage. This summer Houghton County and areas surrounding was hit by some devastating storms and flooding. Roads, bridges, and even homes were totally wiped out. There was no getting in or out of some areas. To my knowledge they received no Federal Assistance. The people worked together to get their communities back together.

Last night, I saw pictures of funnel clouds almost touching the ground in both Baraga and Houghton Counties on Facebook. There were no warning sirens. There did not seem to be any panic. People got out of their vehicles or stepped outside their homes to take pictures. I heard of no one taking cover. The comments that were made were like: "We're good," "Don't worry," "Yup, we were watching it, too." LOL - that would be Yooper SISU: don't find cover; just stand on the porch and watch the tornados. Apparently they did not touch down because I haven't been able to find anything on the news that said they did so far this morning. In fact, I can't find anything on the news about them at all. 

I am not sure what causes people to stand on the porch and watch funnel clouds. I am not sure why I would; but, I am pretty sure I would be among those standing in the wind and rain to watch the weather. It would not be the first time. Maybe, it's not the wisest thing to do. But; then again, maybe, it's due to total faith in the fact that no matter what happens all who believe have eternal life. 

God is our refuge and strength and we will not fear. 

God's Peace be with you; may your day be blessed - Pr. J

No comments: