Monday, December 28, 2020

Bear Their Pain


"O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me." 
                                                                             (Psalm 139:1-10 KJV)

I was looking at all of the homes and other buildings as we were driving down the road last night and it occurred to me that God knows and loves each and every one of the people inside of those places. He created them. He knows them. He knows every word they say; every thought they think; every emotion that they feel. He knows all of this and yet he cares deeply for them all. 

Only God is capable of this and just maybe that is why humans tend to be so clannish. To know what God knows about us would be overwhelming. To know the joys and sorrows, the pains and the suffering of every single individual in the world would be overwhelming for us mere mortals.  It is difficult to watch the people around us suffer. But, to know, to really know, what everyone in the whole world is going through; to feel their suffering is way beyond our ability. We would crumble under that kind of emotion. 

How amazing it is that our Lord loves us so much that he can know and completely understand what we are going through. He is there for us. He is right there with us through thick and thin; through every second of the day. He can understand and no matter who we are or what we may have done he still love us. He can bear all things for us. He can handle the joys of the world and he can handle the suffering of the world. He did in fact take all of our sins upon himself. 
I cannot imagine bearing the weight of all things for all people. But, on the cross our Lord Jesus bore the sins of the world. 

"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed." 
                                                                                        (1 Pet 2:21-24)

As humans we may find that there are times that we tend to isolate ourselves to protect ourselves from experiencing the pain and suffering of others. To know and feel the pain of so many might be overbearing. But, to follow in the steps of Christ means to love. It means putting yourself out there to know and understand not just the joys; but, the sorrows of others as well.

If Jesus loves each and every person so much that he was willing to give his life for us and if we really desire to follow in his footsteps we ought to at least try to love others no matter who they are. 

God's peace be with you all - Pr. J.

No comments: