Friday, December 18, 2020

Time With God

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson
Woe unto them that join house to house!

Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field, till there be no place, that they may be placed alone in the midst of the earth! (Isa 5:8 KJV)

Isaiah makes it sound like it's a good thing to be alone and for some of us it is. Others, for some reason unknown to me, enjoy living side by side. I've tried it. It was bearable most of the time. I have also lived in places that were not quite so bearable. 

I am still trying to adjust to our latest home. It is a humble home on almost two acres. We really can't see any neighboring houses. The area surrounding our property is wooded areas and we have a small pond in the middle of it. I definitely appreciate those things! Yet, I find myself missing our home in Michigan. There is nothing expansive or extravagant about our property there, either. Yet, it is also mostly surrounded by a cedar swamp except for the bay that connects to Lake Superior in the backyard. There will probably never be anyone building in the swamp to the north of us as the Ojibway Tribe owns hundreds of acres there.  

I miss our secluded place in Michigan; but, when I consider the cold they are experiencing right now and the very slow economy that seems to be terminal there, I can really appreciate our home in Florida. We may not be as secluded as I like; but, it is secluded enough and I do not have to live on top of or below anyone in an apartment or condo. I do not have to live ten feet from my neighbor or contend with an HOA.

There is a time and a place for everything. There is a time and a place to be social. It is a very good thing to be in the company of others. But, there is also a need to be alone at times so that we can find rest in the company of none other than Almighty God. 

We; after all, need some quiet and alone time in order to hear God whisper. When Elijah was on the run and seeking to hear from God, he did not hear Him in the noise. In the sheer silence, he heard His whisper.

And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. (1 Kings 19:12)

There may be many who can shut out all the noise of living house to house. They may actually enjoy it. I am not one of them. I need the quiet presence of God to keep my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. I thank God often for the homes He has provided me with and for the opportunity to spend time alone with Him.

May God grant you enough quiet to spend quality time with Him.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: