Monday, January 4, 2021

Share The Story Of Jesus-Lord Of The Dance


"Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice." (Phil 4:10 KJV)

I love to hear and tell the story of Jesus; of what he has done for us! The hearing of the good news lifts my spirit. Is that not what the good news is supposed to do but to lift our spirits and cause us to rejoice?

I often think of Sylvia, who due mostly to her age, was a shut-in. I so enjoyed visiting her because she always wanted our visit to be about Jesus. I would greet her. We would receive the Sacrament of Communion of our Lord together and then she would say with her Finnish accent: "OK. Now what we should talk about Jesus?"

I love to hear and tell the story of Jesus. Most often I hear it in worship; but, not always. As a retired Lutheran pastor, I have been church shopping and for now I am settled down at Westside Baptist Church in Bunnell. They do not presently have a pastor; but, the guest preachers have been very faithful in proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Everything that occurs in a worship service should point to Jesus and remind us of what he has done. Worship is not about you or me. I start getting real uncomfortable when the preaching ends up being stories about the pastor or sports figures or other known or unknown individuals. I am very uncomfortable when individuals are lifted up during the sermon and I kind of freeze up when the sermons are filled with unrelated bad jokes. Not that telling a joke or a brief story are always bad things. They sometimes are very helpful. But, don't make the sermon about them. I want to hear about Jesus!

I also want to sing songs and hymns about Jesus. I am a horrible singer; but, I love to sing anyway. The video above was made during worship a few years ago on the third Sunday of Advent; the Sunday of Joy. It is the Gospel in song. It may be familiar to most of you. I sang it on the Sunday of Joy because not only is a joyful rendition of the story of Jesus; but, when I sing, it brings smiles to many faces, mostly because the hearers are usually to polite to laugh out loud. So listen and smile!

"We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised." (1 Cor 4:10)

The Gospel should bring us joy and we should not be afraid to open our mouths and share the great news of the kingdom for you through the sacrifice of our savior, Jesus the Christ.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: