Saturday, March 27, 2021

Would You Deny Him?

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson
And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.

But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee.

But Peter said unto him, Although all shall be offended, yet will not I.

And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice.

But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all. 
                                                                                (Mark 14:26-31 KJV)


"I will not deny thee" is one of the saddest statements that we hear from the scriptures. In fact we know that Peter did deny him as he was being interrogated and persecuted for our sakes. Peter had been a faithful follower of Jesus; yet, he denied that he even knew him.

It causes us to wonder what we would have done if we had been there. Would we have denied him to save our own skins? What about today? How often do we actually deny that we know Jesus? How often do we miss opportunities to testify to his great love for us? How often do we neglect to tell others what he has done for us.

"I will not deny thee" is such a sad statement to hear because we know that we are not so different from Peter. Although many have stood firm and died declaring that Jesus is our Savior; the question haunts us. Would we?

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: