Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Feed Not The Itching Ears

Photo by John Arthur Photography; edited by Pr. J. Mattson

"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord.

Therefore thus saith the Lord God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord.

And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase.

And I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them: and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the Lord." 
                                                                                            (Jer 23:1-4 KJV)

One of the many ways to scatter the Lord's flock is to feed his people with a different gospel than the one that Jesus proclaimed. When pastors preach a word that pleases itching ears rather than pleases God people will eventually have their fill of being pumped up in that place. They will want more. They will find other ways and places to be entertained (false gospels usually are nothing more than entertainment) and not necessarily a place of Christian worship. 

When the flock hears too much law as in if you don't repent and choose for Jesus, without the Good News of the Kingdom through Jesus Christ for them; without the benefit of absolution, they will soon tire of being judged every Sunday as they listen to the pastor beg them to choose for Jesus. They will walk away or begin to talk with one another behind the pastors back stirring up strife within the congregation causing even more of the sheep to be scattered.

To be fed a false gospel does not bring us closer to Jesus. To buy into it in order to make ourselves feel good does not reconcile us to God.

St. Paul wrote to the Galatians:  
"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ." 
                                                                                        (Gal 1:6-10)

The pastor is not sent to scratch the itching ears. I was told by my mentoring pastor when I received my first call as a missionary to a "church without walls" that I was being sent to comfort the afflicted and afflict the too comfortable. This is done with the word of God through the Word of God who is Jesus the Christ.

May God help us to be faithful to his word in all that we say and think and do. Amen.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: