Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Rainbow of Hope

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson
And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;

And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth.

And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.

And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:

I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:

And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.

And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.

And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.  
                                                                                                                  (Gen 9:8-17 KJV)

It has rained a lot here in Florida this past month. The water in my back yard is over my ankles. I do enjoy a nice rainfall but after awhile it can be a bit dreary. I can't begin to imagine what it would have been like to be stuck in a boat floating on endless water with the rain coming down for forty days knowing that the rest of humanity has been drowned. I am sure that near the end of that time I would have been thinking that I would be spending the rest of my life bobbing up and down in the stormy sea for the rest of my life. But, the rain does stop and God provides a rainbow which is a sign of the covenant he makes that he will never again destroy all of the people of the world in a flood.

Our lives can be flooded with misfortune from time to time. When we feel down the sight of a rainbow fills us with hope that the storm will subside as we are reminded of God's promise and not just the promise given in that covenant made with Noah. When I see the rainbow, I am always refreshed knowing that through Jesus we have a new covenant has been established for all people. By faith in Christ we have been reconciled to God our Father. 


"That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ."                                                                                                                   (Eph 2:12-13)

Thanks be to God for Jesus the Christ who is our hope and our salvation.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: