Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Departed Brothers: Fr. Basil; Fr. Nicholas

photo by Judy Mattson
Monastery at Jacob's Falls, Eagle Harbor, MI
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. 
                      (John 13:34-35 KJV)

I met Fr. Basil in 1997. I was the Vicar for a church without walls in the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan. I had up to five services all over the Keweenaw during any given week and by weeks end I needed to be refreshed. I needed to hear the word and not just preach it so I began attending Saturday evening Vespers on the shore of Lake Superior at the Holy Transfiguration Skete, Eagle Harbor, MI; a Catholic Monastery of the Byzantine Rite. When I first began attending worship with the monks, services were held in their living room. It has since grown greatly!
  
I always left worship with the brothers rejuvenated and ready for the coming week. For those of you who have not attended one of their services, they are completely chanted, including the readings. There are no musical instruments to accompany the chanting; just voices. The words are not drowned out by the organ. I can focus more fully on the word when I can hear it. And... they didn't even mind my chanting. After I had moved away and continued to worship occasionally with them, Fr. Nicholas had commented that he always smiled when he heard me chanting behind him because he knew that I had made the trip to be with them once again. Yes, when I attempt to sing or chant people often smile. I am a preacher not a singer! But, I love doing both. Worship at the monastery is also done  mostly standing. The only time that there is any sitting down is during the readings; unless you are disabled. Whenever I hear people complaining about  standing  too much during worship; I think of Jesus being tortured and hanging on the cross for so many hours for our sakes. 

Fr. Nicholas passed away in 2017. As I was surfing the internet this morning I stumbled across Fr. Basil's obituary. He died on November 30th of this past year. It was a bit of a shock as he always seemed so healthy. 

Despite doctrinal differences, these co-founders of the Holy Transfiguration Skete were truly brothers in Christ. I do miss them. They not only  spiritually supported me and my ministry in the Keweenaw and elsewhere, they were  supporters of many people in need whether the needs were spiritual or physical even as the brothers left behind still are there praying for and helping those in need. What I have witnessed is genuine love for others through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Time has been passing here on earth rather quickly it seems. I will not be seeing brothers Basil or Nicholas again here on earth again. But, that is okay as we look to living in the Kingdom prepared for all who believe, in the presence of God, for all eternity.

May God continue to bless the brothers of St. John's Society with love and with his peace.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: