Thursday, February 10, 2022

Love Does No Harm

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
                                                                       (1 Cor 13:1-7 KJV)

The New International Version and the New King James Version of the Bible both translate charity as love.  Love is charitable because it puts the other's needs before our own desires. It will reconcile us when things might otherwise divide us. Real love does no harm to others as it considers not just what the consequences for oneself might be; but, what the consequences of our words or actions might be upon others. Love and charity care about others. 

When Jesus hung on that cross for us he did it out of love for us. He knowingly and willingly suffered and died so that we might live in the presence of God for all of eternity. He bore our sins on that cross for us and the consequence of that loving act for us is that we are forgiven our sins and reconciled to God our Father. We, who have sinned against God and one another so many times that we cannot count them are forgiven by faith alone in Jesus' life giving sacrifice.

"We love him, because he first loved us." (1 John 4:19) We love others because he loves us all so much!

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: