Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Bless The Words Of Our Lips...


Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer. (Psalm 19:14 KJV)

I have been church shopping. Sounds bad to many of us, right? Hopping around from church to church without having a place to really settle in and becoming a part of a congregational family sounds like one might be avoiding becoming committed to serving.


As a retired pastor who did not move away from the area where the congregation I served is, it is inappropriate for me to stay in the congregation I retired from. A lot of people don't understand this. So, let me explain. It is simply because what often happens, unintentionally or intentionally, is that the retired pastor interferes with the relationship between the new pastor and the congregation. It seems to be human nature to want to control how things work.... People will ask for your advice as the former pastor and if you give advice that is contrary to how the new pastor serves then you are interfering. I would not do anything that might harm the congregations I have served. So, I find myself church shopping. 

This past Sunday I worshiped with a United Methodist Congregation and could not help but smile when the pastor began his sermon by praying pretty much the same prayer that I pray at the beginning of every sermon. "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditations of our hearts and minds, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, our Rock, and our Redeemer. Amen" The prayer put me at ease and opened my heart and mind so that I would be willing and able to hear the Word proclaimed.

Prayer is an amazing thing! God answers even these prayers that might seem little to some. Jesus warned us about praying long vain laden prayers just before he instructed the disciples how to pray using the "Lord's Prayer" as an example. He said: "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking." (Matt 6:7) 

You don't have to be long winded for God to hear and answer your prayer. I have often used this one word prayer: "Help!" God knows what's in your heart. Just talk to your Father in heaven. He hears you and He answers. 

May the words of our mouths, the meditations of our hearts and minds, be acceptable in thy sight, this day, O Lord, our strength and our redeemer.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: