Monday, December 23, 2019

Man or God Pleasers?


I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
                                                                                     (Gal 1:6-10 KJV)

Since retirement last spring I have been church shopping in Florida since  it is not appropriate for Lutheran clergy to stay within the congregation that they served at. Yes, we might very well interfere. 

I have not found that looking for a new congregation to worship with to be an easy thing. I have attended a few and I am saddened to say that I was pretty uncomfortable in most. In some, I have heard only the law. In others I heard a  whole lot of forgiveness without any call to repentance. I have witnessed some pretty heretical things going on and being said during worship. The Word and the explanation of the Sacraments get watered down to make it more comfortable for the people in the pews. 

Regarding what we believe, Article VII (Of the Church) of the Augsburg Confession states: "Also they teach that one holy Church is to continue forever. The Church is the congregation of saints, in which the Gospel is rightly taught and the Sacraments are rightly administered."

I am well aware that there are more than a few who would not wish to see me in their congregations. At the same time I am still looking for a congregation where worship is about pleasing God and not man.

God help us to be servants of Christ!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: