Monday, January 20, 2020

Diverse Temptations and Joy


My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. (James 1:2-3 KJV)

I am not all that joyful when I am confronted with temptations. I don't really have an issue saying no to temptations. I've actually gotten pretty good at it. That does not always make everyone around me happy.

Usually temptations come to me through other people; people who know where I stand. Sometimes, I can laugh it off. Other times, it is more difficult and my patience ends up getting tried and refined as I have to repeat the word "no." 

I do not feel the need for me to have to defend why I will or will not do something. My lifestyle has been worked in me for many years by the grace of God through Jesus. There were a lot of hard lessons to learn. Admittedly, I still have a long ways to go and will never get there while there is still breath in me. However; since God has taught me, by refining fires, I do know enough to say no to many diverse temptations.

I will say no to what I know is wrong. I will stand up for what is right even if others take offense to it. Years ago, in order to stay in relationship with a few people, I had to ignore the damage that they were doing to others. I stopped doing that. I lost family. I lost friends. But, in the end, a child was safe. It may seem like it would have been easier to keep my lips sealed. I tried that way and it was not. It is much easier to stand up for what is right and not yield to the temptation to cover up secrets for the sake of relationships. 

It did not bring any joy to stand up to the temptation to keep my mouth closed and cover up things that were terribly wrong. It was actually a very horrible time. However, it did give me a sense of joy and peace to know that a child would have a much brighter future for it.

One of the greatest temptations is to do nothing when something is going terribly wrong. It can be tough and resisting temptation will produce patience and in the end much joy.

May God grant us the courage and strength to say no to the temptations to do what we ought not do and to not do what we ought to do.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: