Friday, January 3, 2020

Do What Is Right

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,


Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
                                                                                       (Titus 2:11-15 KJV)

We do indeed have freedom of will. We can choose to do whatever pleases us. We must also understand as we make those choices that there will be consequences one way or another.

I confess I get very uncomfortable when I hear people talking about breaking laws or doing something that will in the long run make their lives miserable rather than enhance their lives. I get so uncomfortable that I often let others know why I am uncomfortable. I am free in this country to speak what is on my mind. I am also commanded by God to exhort and rebuke and speak the truth.

No, this does not always endear me to others. But, it does help to keep my conscience a bit clearer.  Years ago, I worked on a military installation overseas. One of my duties was to deliver speeding tickets to people who had been caught on a camera. One morning, I delivered a speeding ticket to a Petty Officer who was caught on camera speeding on his bicycle. I joked about it. It seemed kind of petty to fine someone for speeding on a bicycle. That afternoon as he was speeding in that very same spot he was hit by a car and killed. He left behind a wife and children. The guilt I felt for making light of his speeding hit me hard and for quite some time. 

Being godly includes at least attempting to obey the laws of this world. As Christians we hope to be good examples to the world around us. None of us are perfect. We are all sinners and we will break laws now and then simply because we may view those laws as petty ordinances that get in our way. 

But, we do know the difference between right and wrong. The grace of God has been delivered to us through Jesus. The law of God has been written on our hearts. 

"Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;"
                                                                                        (Heb 10:15:17)

We know in our hearts the difference between right and wrong. Let us do what is right as much as a sinful person can do right even as we look for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: