Monday, March 16, 2020

Surgery Today!

Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
                                                                           (James 1:13-16 KJV)

Well, today is the day for my husband's heart surgery. He is scheduled for a triple by-pass this afternoon. There has been a lot of praying going on around here. When I left him the other night, I asked him if the chaplain had come by to see him. Of course, he had! Howard is at Advent Health, a faith based health system. On just about every wall in their hospitals are quotes from scripture that remind us that the Lord is with us and for us.

I am just a little anxious; probably being a bit selfish, as I really do not care to be left in this world without him. But, I have confidence that the Lord will be working through the surgeon.

I also, sometimes feel a bit guilty. We have been married for 49 years this year. I have been his pastor for about 25 of those years. I am not sure if it's all that fair to spouses to have their wife or husband as their pastor. While I do not have a problem giving pastoral care to others in times of need as I volunteered as a home health care and hospice chaplain for many years; I'm not so sure that I am doing or saying all that I should or could for my own family. So, thanks be to God for chaplains! Thanks be to God for faith based health care systems!

All of your prayers for him are very much appreciated! Thank you for your prayers!

God's Peace - Pr. J. 

No comments: