Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Two Are Better Than One

Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. (Eccl 4:9-10 KJV)

We do not live in a vacuum. It may sound cliche'; but, people need people. God reaches out to us through those who care about us. 

We are exhorted to: 

"Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another.." (Rom 12:9-10)

But, it is a very sad thing then the people around us are not filled with the Spirit of Christ; but, with spirits of evil devise. It is a sad thing when a mother would scheme to protect herself and bring harm to her child. It is a sad thing when a spouse puts their own pleasures before the commitment they made with the one they claim to love. It is a hurtful thing when anyone would bring false accusations against a friend.

King Saul became jealous of David which led to his fear of David. Saul persecuted the man who he once trusted and cared for. There was no reason for the persecution except that Saul wrongly perceived that he had to protect himself and his reign from David.

Job lost everything and when he did everyone turned away from him or against him. He said:

My kinsfolk have failed, and my familiar friends have forgotten me. They that dwell in mine house, and my maids, count me for a stranger: I am an alien in their sight. I called my servant, and he gave me no answer; I intreated him with my mouth. My breath is strange to my wife, though I intreated for the children's sake of mine own body. Yea, young children despised me; I arose, and they spake against me. All my inward friends abhorred me: and they whom I loved are turned against me.  (Job 19:15-19)

There are multitudes of people around us who find themselves alone. It is a shame that those who claimed to love them may have turned their backs on them. But, God has not. He loves you and will be with you always.

St. Paul wrote: 

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35-39)

Love the Lord your God for He is with you always. There will always be two when you are in relationship with the Lord. He will never leave you. 

May God help each of us to love others even as He loves us; to be kind to one another; and to deal justly with the people around us.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: